NH Farm & Forest Expo 2014
NHAES Education Session: Improving the Stakeholders Bottom Line
If you missed the NHAES presentations at the 2014 NH Farm & Forest Expo or would like to hear them again, see below for the videos and powerpoint presentations. Learn about some of the NH Agricultural Experiment Station's research to improve the bottom line for the state's agricultural sector: comparing cultivation methods for strawberry production, impacts of common feed supplements for organic dairy cows, feasibility of woodlot-produced wood shavings for annual bedding, aerobic composting to offset on-farm energy costs; tomato variety trails in high tunnels and in the field, new approaches to monitor orchards for bitter rot and apple scab, and improving forage stand productivity. Faculty from the College of Life Sciences and Agriculture discuss investigations into these and related topics.
- Feed supplements to organic dairy cows. Presented by Andre Brito. [Video] [PowerPoint Presentation]
- Feeding accelerated milk replacer to calves. Presented by Pete Erickson*. [Video] [PowerPoint Presentation]
- Contributions of the ovary to fertility in dairy cows. Presented by Paul Tsang. [Video] [PowerPoint Presentation]
- Production costs of wood shavings for animal bedding: from stump to shed. Presented by Ted Howard.
And Compost Power: Preliminary Data from UNH’s Heat Recovery from Compost Facility. Presented by Matt Smith. [Video] [PowerPoint Presentations: Wood Shavings, Compost]
- Annual strawberry production systems in NH: An economic analysis of grower options. Presented by Matt Kochka. [Video] [PowerPoint Presentation]
- Effects of genotypic diversity on forage stand productivity. Presented by Fred Pollnac. [Video] [PowerPoint Presentation]
- Monitoring risk for bitter rot and apple scab. Presented by Kirk Broders. [Video] [PowerPoint Presentation]
- Vegetable season extension & variety trials. Presented by Becky Sideman*. [Video] [PowerPoint Presentation]
- Controlled-release fertilizer for greenhouse crops. Presented by Brian Krug* . [Video] [PowerPoint Presentation]
News articles covering this year's NH Farm & Forest Expo:
* Joint appointment with Cooperative Extension.